Saturday, July 11, 2009

pork and beef sandwiches from the feast


So, as much as I love to hate the Bridgeport feast I usually end up making an appearance at least once throughout the weekend. The motivation behind actually walking my fat ass over there comes from one single item ....italian roast pork. So after making our rounds through the beer garden, waiting in line for tickets, waiting in line for a 10 oz. cup of warm budweiser ( multiple times) and waiting in line to use one of the 4 port-o-shitters, I finally waited in line for some food. Now... I almost never eat on location at the feast. I'll usually get a brown bag full of sandwiches, walk home, and get to them after a few more beers. Last night was no exception. Theres just something about the bag full of bread, meat and grease that makes the whole experience worth it. The brown paper bag always has wet spots and usually falls apart halfway home, but thats the beauty of it. I got 2 standard issue pork sandiches, 1 roast beef, and the last of the roasted hot peppers they had to offer. By the time I got to eat, the sandwiches were luke warm at best. Thats the way they should be eaten. I opened up the juice soaked bun, jammed some hots on top, fired it right down. A kind of zen-like feeling comes over you as the first bite goes down, and you have a bit of juice running down the sides of your hands... Its fucking delicious. I could eat the exact same sandwich from any of the little delis around the area, at any time of the year, but its just not the same as when you get a good old pork sandwich from the feast. So after the first one disappeared in a heartbeat, I moved on to the beef sandwich which I doctored up with a healthy dose of horseradish. Not impressed... just beef. kinda dry to be honest, but hey.. I didnt care much about it in the first place. I have one more pork sandwich waiting for me still wrapped in paper, still in the brown paper bag. I cant wait to get into it tonight. Most likely I'll be back in line for more by the end of the weekend. What's that???? I think I can actually hear the fried dough and the porchetta calling my name. dont worry little buddy... I'll be back for you...... you can fucking bet on it.

Overall rating: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment